English instruction in the Hingham Public Schools is guided by the following principles:
- Structured Writing: Our program will emphasize formal structural principles as they relate to expository, persuasive, narrative, and descriptive writing.
- Close Reading: Our program will provide guided instruction for reading and literary analysis that emphasizes critical reading and critical thinking skills.
- Active Learning: Our program will promote instructional practices that are student-centered and, as needed, differentiated. These practices will take into account appropriate levels of readiness and challenge for all students.
- Vertical Articulation: Our program will promote a consistent continuum of skills from one grade level to the next.
All courses in this department are aligned with the 2011 Massachusetts Curriculum Framework for English Language Arts and Literacy and address HHS Student Learning Expectations 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.
For more information, please go to:
- Summer 2017 Reading Assignments and Instructions
- Curriculum Summaries: Preschool, Kindergarten, Grade 1, Grade 2, Grade 3, Grade 4, Grade 5, Middle School, High School