Community

Hingham, established in 1635, is a coastal town 18 miles south of Boston with approximately 21,000 residents. The school department and our town departments enjoy a positive relationship. Fundraising efforts by the Hingham Education Foundation provide a program of mini and major grants to enhance school programs.

The town’s proximity to Boston offers easy access to cultural activities and a variety of educational institutions. The recent restoration of the Greenbush train line and a commuter boat are popular means of travel to Boston. Local recreational resources include a town beach, the Lincoln Sailing Club, municipal and private golf courses, as well as Bare Cove Park, Wompatuck State Park and the World’s End Reservation.

The Town is governed by a three-person Board of Selectmen and managed by a Town Administrator. The Town Hall complex includes the Police Department, the Recreation Department, the School Department, the Light Department, and a Senior Center, in addition to the general town government offices. A recently enlarged and renovated Town Library is other evidence of a strong infrastructure and well managed resources.

Hingham’s strong sense of history is evidenced by well maintained historical sites and owner pride and care for private homes. The Old Ship Church, the Old Ordinary, and the “Old” Derby Academy building attract tourists to the attractive “downtown” area with its interesting shops and the original Talbot’s “store with the red door.”

A seven member School Committee oversees school department policy and funding. The district’s 4000 students are housed in a 9-12 high school, a 6-8 middle school and four elementary schools, one of which also houses the integrated pre-school, and three of which offer integrated full day kindergarten programs. Major renovations to Foster & PRS were completed in Summer 2010 and the Town’s fourth elementary school, East School, opened in September 2009.