Hingham Public Schools will provide excellence in the educational experience in an enabling and safe environment to empowered, excited, and supported learners in partnership with engaged and collaborative parents and community partners and an enthusiastic, innovative, and well-educated faculty who strive to expand and enhance learning opportunities utilizing enabling, equitable, and sustainable finances.
The mission of the Hingham Public Schools is to provide challenging and comprehensive educational programs in a safe and supportive environment, enabling all students to develop the knowledge and skills necessary for success as local and global citizens. In partnership with families and the community, the Hingham Public Schools strives to develop in students:
- academic excellence, including content knowledge, communication skills, critical thinking skills, and problem solving capability
- habits of physical and emotional well-being, including a spirit of self-worth, resiliency, and adaptability
- personal responsibility, integrity, and active citizenship
- responsibility for the environment
- skillful and responsible use of technology
- respect for the diverse views and backgrounds of others
- collaborative engagement as a means of both learning and problem solving
- intellectual curiosity that motivates future learning
- creative expression through the fine, performing, and applied arts
- Respect for Self and Others
- Civic Responsibility
- Fulfillment of Individual Potential
- Commitment to Life-Long Learning
- Service to Others
Goal 1 Student Learning:
Provide an innovative, authentic, inclusive, and comprehensive educational program that fosters and sustains student curiosity and inspires students to be passionate and purposeful, global citizens.
- Expand the use of authentic instruction and formative assessment that promote the 4 Cs.
- Align the K-12 curriculum with the new MA Science Curriculum Framework Standards, the Digital Literacy and Computer Science Curriculum Framework Standards, and the soon to be revised social studies standards.
- Prepare for the transition from MCAS to the MCAS Next Generation.
- Develop and implement a new district technology plan.
Goal 2 Professional Practice and Culture:
Promote a climate and culture that attracts and retains professional, creative, collaborative, and compassionate staff and leaders.
- Develop and implement a new professional development plan to improve quality of instruction and remain responsive to required re-licensure related professional development.
- Update the Mentoring and Induction Plan to enhance programs for 2nd and 3rd year teachers.
- Explore the addition of a new human resources staff position to consolidate existing roles and responsibilities.
Goal 3 Student Well-being and Safety:
Create and foster a safe and supportive learning environment, in collaboration with the community, to develop the physical, social, and emotional well-being of all.
- Develop and implement a Hingham social/ emotional tiered system of support and provide parent communication and training on the Hingham social/ emotional tiered system of support; explore supportive special education models focusing on students with emotional and behavioral challenges.
- Revise and update district security and multi-hazard plans.
- Continue to update and enhance the physical, social and emotional well-being of students through a comprehensive K-12 health curriculum and programs.
Goal 4 Communication and Collaboration:
Promote communication, support, and collaboration among staff, students, parents, and community.
- Review, revise, and publish the “Teachers’ Guide to Productive Communications with Parents”. Write and publish the “Parents’ Guide to Productive Communication with Teachers”.
- Explore the effective use of technology to improve school communication and continue to improve district website.
- Provide more family informational sessions about student issues which cause stress or unrealistic expectations for students and families.
- Empower families to continue successful social/emotional strategies in different settings.
Goal 5 Financial and Asset Management:
Ensure sustainable sources of revenue and create operational efficiencies to fund teaching, operations, maintenance, renovation, and other facility needs that will support district goals.
- Work collaboratively with the School Committee and Town officials to provide facilities and fund educational programs that are appropriate to support district goals and student needs.
- Embark on the development of a new Ten-year Facilities Master Plan.
- Work with the Town to explore ways to ensure a sustainable source of revenue for operating and capital needs.
- Implement operational efficiencies and preventative maintenance to mitigate the impact of fixed and unanticipated budget costs.